In Validator, ValidateOnInput value is ignored, hence there is no way to desactivate live validation in a form.
Validation on input has wrong behaviour on iPad/Safari. Scenario:
1. The user has input text in <required> field of the form.
2. The user has deleted all the text.
3. The error message appears.
4. The user starts to type. After the first letter, the error message disappears. The input looses focus. The focus is set back to input but the cursor position is wrong. (one letter before the last one inserted).
5. Result: the user inputs "abcd", the input contains "bcda". in case of email validation, the user inputs "firstname.lastname@example.org" and the value is "email@example.com". Very problematic when typing password as the user can't see input value.
Internet Explorer 8:
1. For <required> input, the error message appears after typing 1st letter. Disappears after typing 2nd. (validation is fired just before the value is changed, not after).
While setting ValidateOnInput to false manually (it is suppose to be by default false) the form is still being validated on input.
Mentioned errors appears ONLY in Liferay portlets.