Google Merchant Center requires that all merchants submit certain data to them in their product feeds, for example Brand. The fields required changes depending on the type of product being sold, but the fact remains that there are many fields which Google Merchant Center will need that we don't have out of the box within Liferay Commerce.
We need to provide a way for Liferay Commerce admins to map fields between Google Merchant Center and Liferay Commerce.
Design a pattern for mapping fields between Google Merchant Center and Liferay Commerce.
- We will decide which fields in Google Merchant Center we will allow custom mappings to. In essence, admins will not be able to choose any field from Google Merchant Center and map it to Liferay Commerce. Instead, we will give them a set of fields to map.
- We will allow the administrator to choose whether they want to map a given field, e.g. Brand, to a specification, an option, a category, or a tag.
- After they choose what type of data they want to map to (e.g. specification), they can choose the specific thing they want to map to (e.g. the specification named "Brand")
- Once they set up this mapping, we will pull from that specific field and put it in their Google Merchant Center feed.
- Similar concept exists in a Magento add-on: https://marketplace.magento.com/magmodules-magmodules-googleshopping.html (see screenshots)