We use /p/ and /g/ within the friendly URLs for Commerce display pages. To improve the search presentation for SEO purposes, clients want to change the /p/ and /g/ to something meaningful like /product/ and /category/.
- We make this configurable in the UI and allow admins to define a string on a virtual instance level.
We provide an extension point which allows developers to deploy a customization which changes the string
- We need to consider the constraints we put on the string, e.g. no spaces, support for UTF-8, etc.
- Doesn't conflict with the reserved strings, e.g. /-/
- Redirects: nice to have
- There is a note that warns users not to change this in production
I prefer to provide an extension point so this is a development taskactually more effort than a system settings config so let's go with option #1
- Consideration: multi-lingual support? What are the drawbacks of adding support for a different strings depending on locale. Depends on if it's already supported in our config. If it is, we get this for free and should do it.