Affects Version/s: 7.0.X
Steps to reproduce:
1. Create a vocabulary-category-subcategory structure like this (if they are shown unstructured, please go into edit mode for this description, and you will see how the text was really entered, with the actual structure visible):
2. Start adding some new content (e.g. blog entry, web content article, document) and switch on your browser's dev tool (F12), choose the Network tab.
3. In the Categorization section you see two Select buttons. One for each vocabulary.
4. Click on the Select button for a vocabulary (no matter which).
Checkpoint: You can see that one get_categories request is sent (probably in order to help populate the popup selection window). We believe this is the intended behaviour.
5. Close the modal and click on another Select button (another vocabulary).
Observed result: 3 such requests are sent (this seems to be dependent on the number of categories. Customer has around 100, and they see around 100 such requests). Or, in customer's words/observation:
One retrieves the direct children of the second Vocabulary, as expected. The
others retrieve Subcategories of Categories from the first Vocabulary.
In our production environment such requests have been observed to recursively retrieve multiple
levels of Subcategories from different Vocabularies, sometimes the whole Vocabulary/Category tree
To summarize: the observed behaviour is that when clicking for the first time on one of the Select buttons for a vocabulary, the get_categories call is made only once. But from then on, anytime you click on a Select button for a vocabulary, 3 (or n) such calls are made.
Codebase is different from 7.0.x, it is a 7.0.x special fix.