1. Start Liferay 7.2 in the debugger
2. Login as an Administrator
3. Create a form via the Control Panel
4. While in the Control Panel, follow the developer documentation instructions for disabling auto-save.
5. Add the forms portlet to a portal page
6. Select the form created in step 3
7. Reload the page
8. Using the browser's developer tools, open the Network tab in order to monitor requests from the browser to the server.
9. [OPTIONAL] If Liferay 7.2 is running in the debugger, set a breakpoint in AddFormInstanceRecordMVCResourceCommand.doServeResource(ResourceRequest,ResourceResponse).
After a minute or two, there are no requests displayed in the Network tab and the breakpoint from step #9 is never reached.
After a minute or two, an XHR is displayed in the Network tab and the breakpoint from step #9 is reached.