On DXP 7.2 SP1+
- Create two Web Content articles titled House of Chip and House of Dale
- Create a Synonym Set chip,dale under Control Panel > Search Tuning > Synonyms
- Search for House of Chip from the Search Bar widget
Result: Both articles are displayed.
- Search for "House of Chip" (quote the previous search term for exact matching).
Result: Both articles are displayed again
- Delete the Synonyms Set you created and repeat the quoted search
Result: Only one article is returned, the one that matches exactly
Users may expect that quoted searches will still return exact matches only even if there are matching synonyms sets.
- Quotes don't disable synonyms in Elasticsearch,
- We are using https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/6.8/analysis-synonym-graph-tokenfilter.html and it does not mention that synonyms should not be applied on phrase queries
- From usability aspect, not being able to search for exact match if a respective synonym set is used cannot be really considered as a bug. The rationale behind, synonyms set was designed for real synonyms (cell phone, mobile phone), hence a synonym match for an exact match query is an adequate behavior.
- The intended behavior is subjective, therefore it requires further evaluation of the possibility of improving this feature in the future.