Currently, we load our svg icons through an svg spritemap located in our themes.
For some reason, we're currently loading a wide variety of paths for it and in a way that seems to prevent caching (see attached screenshot).
The goal of this story is to:
- Analyze the current usages of icons.svg and how their paths are being generated
- Make the necessary changes to have a consistent single path to icons.svg reducing the amount of times we need to load them
- Improve our caching mechanism for this
- When landing on a page for a first time, only 1 instance of icons.svg is loaded
- When landing on a page for a second time, icons.svg comes from the cache
- When navigating through pages, no different icons.svg requests are made
As with Disable svg4Everybody this might be rendered unnecessary depending on the work done at Decouple Icons from Themes, but it's unclear when that will happen or the final result, so we might still benefit from this in the short term.