Affects Version/s: 7.2.X, Master
Component/s: Portal Configuration
When exporting some settings from Control Panel/System Settings, the resulting OSGi config file will be UTF-8 encoded. However, at next startup, when reading that file, we do not assume that it is UTF-8 encoded (unless module.framework.properties.felix.fileinstall.configEncoding=UTF-8 is set in portal-ext), and therefore special Unicode characters appear wrongly after that (in System Settings, and probably in the DB as well).
Steps to reproduce/demonstrate the issue:
1. Start up a vanilla bundle and login as admin.
2. Go to System Settings/Content and Data section/Display Content and scroll to the Title field towards the bottom. In that text field write (paste) the following text:
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
3. Then export this setting. You will obtain a file called com.liferay.iframe.web.internal.configuration.IFramePortletInstanceConfiguration.config, and you can see that it is UTF-8 encoded (I used Notepad++ for checking that)
4. Stop the server and place that file in osgi/configs, then restart the server.
5. Go again to System Settings/Content and Data section/Display Content and scroll to the Title field.
Result: You will see "Mit freundlichen GrÃ¼Ãen", instead of "Mit freundlichen Grüßen". However, if you were to use "module.framework.properties.felix.fileinstall.configEncoding=UTF-8" (or felix.fileinstall.configEncoding=UTF-8 in a system-ext file) before restarting, then the text would be correctly read and displayed on the UI.
Expected: This setting (module.framework.properties.felix.fileinstall.configEncoding=UTF-8) should be used by default by the DXP server. A DXP server should come with this setting enabled (without customers needing to set it in portal-ext or system-ext.)