Affects Version/s: 7.3.X, Master
When sessions expire while a user is viewing content with a star rating system (such as blogs), the user is able to continue to interact with the rating system, but sees the error "an unexpected error has occurred" thrown in the UI.
This issue was addressed for 7.0 in
LPS-75593, and UI errors are not thrown in 7.0 (see attached gif).
The following workaround have been given to the customer:
1. Extending the session timeout value to be much longer than 30 minutes to give users more time before their sessions expire.
2. Setting session.timeout.redirect.on.expire=true to redirect users to the default page when their session expires
3. Setting session.timeout.auto.extend=true to prevent sessions from expiring while the user is viewing a page in their browser
1. Set timeout value in web.xml to <session-timeout>1</session-timeout>
2. In Site Administration > Configuration > Site Settings > Social > Blogs, select "Stacked Stars" from the dropdown menu
3. Create a test blog entry
4. Add blogs widget to a page
5. Wait for session to expire
6. Give a star rating
Expected Result: Users are still able to click on ratings, but they will not be saved. A UI error ("You must be signed in to rate") will be displayed when the user attempts to rate.
Actual Results: Errors are thrown when star ratings are clicked.
Error: An unexpected error occurred.
No log errors.
Reproduced: master hash: d610360269471ce22dea81957a59d19a64492406
Reproduced 73x hash: a98a91ccc62a3f0405b64b083a14d4eaf837e305