Customers are often disrupted by obtrusive changes in the product that modify it in a substantial way such as:
- Significant UI changes.
- Unexpected behaviour changes.
These not only can make customers' training material obsolete and force them to retrain their workforce but also make them feel the product is broken.
For each new feature teams must:
- Determine whether or not it is obtrusive.
- If so, hide them behind an RFF (Release Feature Flag).
What's an RFF?
RFFs (Release Feature Flags) are a new technical concept that will work in the following way:
- In development environments: they will be on.
- For new installations (new customers): they will be on.
- For existing installations: an upgrade process will be run at the very end that:
- Calculates which RFFs are newer than the previous version.
- Set those to off and leave the rest as they currently are.
- There will be a UI in Instance Settings that will list all the RFFs and allow admins to switch them on / off individually.