In particular, this can be seen in places like LDAP settings or authentication types. To replicate:
1. Setup sharding.
2. Create a new portal instance on shard "one" named "abc.com".
3. Login to http://abc.com:8080.
4. In control panel, change authentication type and save.
6. Shutdown and restart server.
7. Go to http://abc.com:8080. Authentication type will NOT reflect any change.
The fix is to move all LIFERAY_PORTAL parameters to a new database table, PortalPreferences, and to only store data for PortalPreferences onto the default shard.