1) I have created a site template "School" (1 page, 30-70 layout, navigation portlet in left column, web content and asset publisher in right column)
2) I have created an organization "Beggen"
3) I created a site for the organization and when creating the site I picked the "School" site template
4) When I navigate to the site page I see my site template layout
5) In Control panel goto Users and organizations -> Beggen -> Manage Site -> Site template
6) The control panel shows the message:
There are no templates used on this site
I.e. you can't see what template is used
you have to delete the site for the organization and create a new site using a new template.