when changing a site template (e.g. removing a portlet, changing the page layout), the sites that have been build using this template don't reflect those changes.
1) Create a Site Template "Templ" (make sure Allow Modifications and Allow Layout Additions are checked)
2) Add some portlets to the template, set a page layout
3) Create an organization "Orga"
4) Create a site for the organization and use the template "Templ"
5) Verify the site looks as defined by the template
6) Edit the site template (remove one portlet, change the page layout)
7) Navigate to the "Orga" site ... changes are not picked up, everything remains as previously defined.