Steps to Reproduce
Steps to reproduce / testing done:
Set up was done referencing this wiki: http://www.liferay.com/documentation/liferay-portal/6.1/user-guide/-/ai/ch-4
1. Download ejabberd http://www.process-one.net/en/ejabberd/downloads , use the default settings
1a. Make sure to start your ejabberd server. The installer should create a Start and Stop icon on your Desktop.
2. Download the Chat Portlet (attached)
3. Create a portlet-ext.properties (yes that's right, portlet) as such
4. Place this properties file inside the Chat portlet in WEB-INF/classes
5. Deploy your chat portlet and startup Liferay
6. Within Liferay, create another user and sign in with him in another browser
7. Chat with each other.
Here is the issue:
On initial startup, Spark can see that Liferay is online, but Liferay sees 0 friends. At this time, Spark's chats do not go through to Liferay.
Workaround is to sign into Liferay as the Spark user simultaneously with Spark, then sign out. This "reboots" the connection and then Spark and Liferay can chat. This does not happen when the "jabber.host" is set to an IP address.