When the "Open in MS Office" option is selected in Documents and Media Portlet, it gets an error, and when selected in the Documents and Media Display nothing happens. This is within IE9 64bit. The later issue is being addressed for 32-bit in
Steps to Reproduce
1. Make sure Office is installed on the system, I used 2007, I believe 2003 and later will also show same results.
2. Use Internet Explorer 9 64bit and start up a clean 6.1.20 bundle.
3. Create a page on any site.
4. Go to that page and add the Documents and Media portlet as well as Documents and Media Display.
5. In the configuration menu for Documents and Media display, check "Show Actions Menu" option.
6. Upload any Microsoft Office file (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
7. Click on actions menu on the document in Documents and Media Display.
8. Select "Open in MS Office."
9. The document will not open, and no action will happen.
10. Click on the arrow next to the document in Documents and Media Display portlet.
11. Select "Open in MS Office."
12. You will receive the following error (see attached screenshot also): "Cannot open the requested document due to the following reason: Automation Server can't create object"
The "Open in MS Office" link will open the document in Word.
In the Portlet it gets an error, and in the Display it doesn't respond.