The script console is extremely useful tool, especially for savvy admins. However, the current UI for script input is a plain textarea. Here're some suggestions for possible improvements:
(1) Add CSS fix to not restrict the width of textarea (comes from default control Panel theme as max-width: 500px)
- many modern browsers allows you to resize the texteare on the fly, but this CSS blocks that
(2) store the size of textarea for every user
- many modern browsers allows you to resize the texteare on the fly, but after you execute the code, it gets small again
- maybe store using SessionClicks in portlet prefs private to each user?
(3) add help on the right (possibly as a popup) with code hints, listing what constructs (above what selected script language offers) can the user use. Like imports of Liferay core classes. Similar to the "Text Formatting Notation Help" table which JIRA has as a popup, when you're writing a comment (question mark under comment's textarea).
(4) syntax highlighting / code completion like in the new WebContent template editor?
- would be extremely useful, maybe we can reuse a lot of stuff that was done for new WebContent template editor?