Affects Version/s: 6.1.20 EE GA2
While an empty asset publisher is hiding correctly in dynamic mode (as opposed to LPS-24518), the portlet is still visible if it's configured to show a manual list.
1. Create an asset publisher on any page
2. Configure it to be dynamic, with a filter rule, that leads to no results
3. Create an user without update permission on that page, but view permissions on the page and the asset publisher
4. Check the page with admin user and the created user
While the admin user will see the portlet with the text "no results", the user will not see the portlet at all. So far it's correct.
5. Now configure the asset publisher to show a manual list but don't choose any file
Both admin and normal user will see the portlet which does show completely nothing.
I didn't test current 6.2 builds but it's possible the bug is there too, because the code looks still almost the same.
If you reuse these lines here, it will work as expected again: https://github.com/liferay/liferay-portal/blob/master/portal-web/docroot/html/portlet/asset_publisher/view_manual.jspf#L100
If this is no issue in 6.2 anymore, you will at least have to add the same code here: https://github.com/liferay/liferay-portal/blob/6.1.x/portal-web/docroot/html/portlet/asset_publisher/view_manual.jspf#L92
I've tested it with a hook on my 6.1.20 EE GA2 installation.