0. Go to Control Panel -> Roles -> Guest -> Define Permissions
Select Documents and media from the drop down
For Documents And Media View, Documents And Media Document View, and Documents And Media Folder View and Access, set Limit Scope to a Global, and a Site (I used default Site)
1. Go to Control Panel -> Documents and Media and create a folder "Test"
2. Upload a document titled "AB Dec 16.docx" and set the permissions to "Anyone"
This grants the Guest View permission to the document.
3. Upload a document titled "AB Dec 17.docx" and set the permissions to "Site Members"
This does not grant the Guest View permission to the document.
4. Create a page called "Search"
5. Add Search portlet to the page.
6. Search for "AB Dec" or "AB"
Result: Since I am doing this with the admin user, both documents show up.
7. Repeat with Guest (unauthenticated) user.
Actual Result: Only AB Dec 16.docx was in the search result.
Expected result: Both documents should be in the search result.