Affects Version/s: 6.2.X EE, 7.0.0 M3
If the user has only permission to see a single plugin portlet (installed as a .war) in Control Panel, the portlet won't be rendered, only if we add another portlet's view permission.
1) Create a test portlet which configured to be shown in Control Panel, or deploy the attached Test Portlet.
2) Deploy the portlet
3) Create a new regular role and add all the possible permissions of the TestPortlet, these are:
Access in Control Panel
Add to Page
4) Create a User and add the newly created Role to him
5) Log in with the user and Go to Control Panel
Result: You can't see the portlet and there is an exception
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
... 153 more
6) Add the (for example) the view and access in control panel permissions of Users and Organizations to the Role
Result: You'll see both portlets
This is because when you have permission to view only a single portlet in Control Panel, then the one portlet is supposed to be rendered.
But when you are permitted to view at least two porlets, a list of links to those portlets will be rendered. Besides a link to Users and Organizations, the link to the TestPortlet will be present.
The issue was reproduced on ee-6.2.x and master.
You can reproduce this issue with any plugin portlet, for example wsrp.