Unable to see translations for Japanese or other languages with special characters on portal. All translated text appears with "???" in varying lengths.
Specifically with JBoss EAP 6.1 + Liferay 6.2 versions.
When using Sybase 15.7 as the database, the log shows that characters are unable to be converted (see: http://pastebin.com/nxfP13Y2).
Steps to reproduce:
If using Sybase as database:
- Follow steps for 15.7 to set up db: https://in.liferay.com/web/global.engineering/wiki/-/wiki/Quality+Assurance+Main/How+to+use+Sybase+%28VM%29
- Follow steps in wiki to set up JBoss EAP 6.1: https://in.liferay.com/web/global.engineering/wiki/-/wiki/Quality+Assurance+Main/JBoss+EAP+6.1+Installation
- Make sure to change portal-ext to connect to sybase
- Start Liferay
- Add language portlet to page
- Click flag for Japanese
- Assert characters show as "???" (refer to attached image)
If using MySQL as database:
Follow above steps, omitting sybase set-up step.