Type: Feature Request
Affects Version/s: 6.2.1 CE GA2
Fix Version/s: None
Component/s: Open Social
Affected version: released 6.2CE GA2 (no option in dropdown)
This probably needs to be split into at least 2 separate bugs. OpenSocial gadgets should be configurable for load time and the http request time without editing source code.
We have this property in portal-ext.properties:
And these settings and comments in portlet-ext.properties:
- fix gadget load and initialisation time
- the above line doesn't work, we need to edit:
- to hardcode an entry, e.g.,
- timeout: 300000, /instance.get('pubsubURILoadTimeout'),/
- fix makeRequest response time
- NOTE: THESE STILL HAVE TO BE CHANGED IN:
- NOTE: ALSO LOOK IN:
With these settings in our properties files, after a clean install and no other changes, I get:
Apr 27, 2014 3:04:50 AM org.apache.shindig.gadgets.http.BasicHttpFetcher fetch
INFO: Timeout for http://vmr-dev.uni-muenster.de/community/vmr/api/statistics/pages/ Exception: java.net.SocketTimeoutException - Read timed out - 5006ms
This relates to both:
1) loading a gadget itself: if a page has 5 gadgets and the user is on a slow connection, the outer page loads first, then requests all 5 gadgets to load and the gadgets which don't load within the 5 seconds default time will give up.
2) gadgets.io.makeRequest, as seen in the above warning. If a longer query (e.g., complex report generation) to a service is made via makeRequest, if the service does not respond within the default 5 second timeout, the request gives up, irrespective of the property settings which attempt to raise this timeout.