When a site member with permissions to update a page toggles off edit controls via the Edit Control icon, the user will no longer be able to re-enable the control after some of their permissions have been revoked. This prevents them from being able to see edit links for resources they can still edit.
Steps to reproduce:
1) On a site, create a new Web Content->Basic Web Content article
2) Edit the article to have View and Update permissions for the User role
3) Drop a Web Content Display portlet with that article on the home page
4) Add a user with Site Owner site permission to the site
5) Go the site as the user and click on the Edit Control icon to hide all the edit links/controls
6) Back in the Site Administration, remove the Site Owner role from the user
7) Go back to the site as the user
Expected Behavior: User is able to edit the web content article
Actual Behavior: Edit Controls is not available
Reproduced in 6.2.x - ee139420e2ccb761b8ebdeb0635cd29330b68beb
Can't test in master - 00e4750582741ba2a7f06277a1696eb96f95c0e1
I wasn't able to find the Edit Control icon in 7.0. Does it even exist?