In 7.0 DE DXP, the search functionality in Message Boards portlet simply lists the title of the threads that contain the keywords that have been searched. If we click on a search result, we are taken to the top of the thread. The user must then leverage the browser's FIND functionality to search for the terms again. See the attached mbportlet-search-issue.gif file.
It seems that the search functionality within Message Boards is rather rudimentary at this time
This functionality could be vastly improved, and produce helpful search results if the following items were implemented:
1. Allow the user to search by either thread or by post
2. Provide an abstract/excerpt (with highlighted search keyword in the excerpt) underneath the thread title search result – This functionality is seen in the Search Portlet results (see the attached search-portlet-behavior.gif)
3. Highlight all instances of the identified keywords when we click on the search result
4. If we are searching by post, go to the permalink of the post itself, rather than taking the user to the top of the thread (similar to how you can permalink JIRA comments)
5. If the post result passes the maximum posts (default 50 defined in discussion.comments.delta.value=50), take the user to the search result without having to click "More Messages" button
This improvement would help bring Message Boards portlet's search and indexing up to par with many modern bulletin board/forum software that are available.