Affects Version/s: 7.0.X EE, Master
When optimizing TemplatePortletPreferences in
LPS-71383, we removed the method bodies for various methods when we deprecated the methods. While this makes theoretical sense, the problem is that we have absolutely no automated upgrade code for the templates (which might have been application display templates or themes) which may have relied on those methods.
Unlike Java code, "deprecation" warnings do not show up inside of Application Display Templates or theme code. When the method contracts for methods change as a result of deprecation, this results in a very severely negative developer experience as they cannot trust that the examples they are given will continue to work even within the same release.
Steps to Reproduce
- Go to the Global Site
- Site -> Configuration -> Application Display Template
- Edit the "Rich Summary" Template (in a clean bundle, this is on page 2)
- Add the following to the end of the template in the script box, which worked at release time:
- Save the Asset Publisher Template
- Go to primary Site ->Add a new Public Page
- Add an Asset Publisher portlet to the page
- Click on the 3 vertical dots in the portlet, select configuration
- Setup -> Display Settings -> Display Template. Select the "Rich Summary" Template, Click save.
Expected Result: No errors
Actual Results: UnexpectedCharException is repeated numerous times in back end