Type: Regression Bug
Affects Version/s: 7.0.X EE, Master
Component/s: Portal Services > Auditing
LPS-68880, the PersistentAuditMessageProcessor was disabled by default, after having been always enabled. As there was no documentation explaining how to re-enable it, nor was it obvious from the UI, this resulted in a lot of confusion for users who used this feature. It should be enabled by default so there is no discontinuity in the user experience of users who used this feature.
Steps to reproduce
1. Start up Liferay ee-7.0.x on a revision that does not contain
2. Log in and out of the portal a few times as the admin user.
3. While logged in, visit Control Panel > Configuration > Audit.
4. Notice that all your logins are listed on this page.
5. Shut down Liferay and deploy a revision that contains
6. Start up Liferay and log in and out of the portal a few more times.
7. While logged in, visit Control Panel > Configuration > Audit.
Expected behavior: The logins that you did in step 6 would be recorded in the audit page.
Actual behavior: The logins that you did in step 6 are not recorded in the audit page. In order to get this feature to start working again, you need to take the following steps:
1. Navigate to Control Panel > System Settings > Foundation > Persistent Message Audit Message Processor.
2. Check the box that says "Enabled" and click the "Update" button.
This is rather arcane and can only reasonably be figured out by analyzing Liferay's source code.
For users who relied on the audit feature, this will result in a very poor experience as there is no warning that the audit feature has suddenly been disabled, leading to many actions not being logged that they were expecting to have been logged. Furthermore, once they finally figure out that the audit feature has been disabled, they will practically have to analyze Liferay's source code to figure out how to re-enable it.
master? Not applicable to master because the Audit feature is not supported in master. However, the problem exists within the master-private repo, so we will fix the issue there.
ee-7.0.x? Yes, issue reproduced in ee-7.0.x (ad601082f5700519597180caf94708619ecb17a3)