Resolution: Won't Fix
Affects Version/s: 6.2.X EE, 7.0.X EE, Master
Fix Version/s: None
Component/s: Core Infrastructure > Transaction Management
An error message will never be displayed to the user if a callable throws an exception because we suppress the exception and just log the error in the console instead. This can cause problems for some use cases.
For instance, if the user tries to update their password in LDAP, but the updated password fails to be exported to LDAP properly, they will not receive an error message notifying them of this. They will think that their password updated successfully, which can cause them great confusion the next time they try to log in.
Steps to Reproduce
- Start up Liferay and log in as the admin user
- Configure Liferay to connect to LDAP
- Enable user export and use LDAP password policy
- Set up a password policy on the LDAP server
- Log in as the new user and attempt to change the new user's password to something that does not meet LDAP's password policy.
Expected Result: An error message is thrown in the UI to indicate that something went wrong with the user's password change operation.
Actual Result: No error message appears in the UI. An error with a stack trace appears in the console, but this is not helpful to a user who does not have access to the console.