Content Authors can currently choose whether to author structured content for maximum reusability or just leveraging the inline editing capabilities within a content page. The latter is faster and will often be preferred. However a content author may find later a need to reuse that inline content.
The goal of this story is to solve this need by allowing authors to create structured content from inline content at any point in time, by selecting one or more inline content elements and creating a content with any existing structure from them, by mapping the elements to compatible structure fields.
- Given a structure with a required field when a page author starts the process of creating a content with that structure from inline fields and she does not map the required field before clicking the "Save" button then an error message should be shown and the content should not be created.
- Given a page edited in language X when a page author starts the process of creating a content with that structure from inline fields and finishes the process successfully then the web content article created has X as its default language.
- Given a structure with an image field when a page author selects several inline elements and starts the process of creating a content with that structure and the image field is mapped to a text or rich text element then when clicking save, an error should be shown informing the user that the the mapping is incorrect.
- Given a structure with an image field and an inline element of type image whose value is in base64 or a URL to an external image and the user maps the editable field to the image field then when creating the content, an image should be created in the repository associated to the new article from the base64 content or the image obtained through the URL and the image field points to it.
- Given an inline element of type image whose value is a URL to an inexistent external image and the user maps the editable field to the image field then when creating the content an error should be shown to the user informing that the image is invalid.
- Only structure fields of type text, textarea, html and image are currently supported.
- For repeatable fields only one value can be mapped for the field.
- When mapping an editable image with an image from Documents & Media to a new structured article, a copy of the image is created instead of keeping the link to the original Documents & Media. This happens because there is currently no way to tell apart if the image in the editable element is from Documents & Media or from some other source since only the URL is kept.
- The error messages when saving the content are only shown in English and are not easy to understand to the user.
- The UX of the whole process has some problems:
- The "Create New Content" button is shown always in the floating toolbar mapping panel, which is distracting, specially since the operation of creating a new content will not be performed that often. In fact, due to its location it can be easily confused with a "Save" button of a form composed by the two fields above.
- It might be difficult for users to understand what the "Create New Content" button really does and how it's related to mapping or to the selected fields.
- The ability to select multiple fields needs to be known in advance, since it's not discoverable.